Life at Kerjacob .

Life at Kerjacob .

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Inspiration comes from a 15th century mural.


After my first series of paintings based on the flowers around here I wanted to do more work.
One day we visited a church not too far from here.
About 10 years ago work had been done on the walls. Whilst removing plaster a wonderful fragment of a 15th century mural was found.
So that was the start.
My first piece was to do a copy of part of the mural, a real challenge but one that just took over.
I wanted to work on it all the time.
I continued to be inspired by granite and wood carvings in churches, many still showing tiny fragments of their original paint. All the carvings would have been painted originally.
At the exhibition the first piece to sell was the copy of the mural. I loved that piece because it had been the start of my inspiration and of course it was good to have someone else love it too.

The granite angel stays here on my kitchen wall, I love it too much to sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment